News and commentary for the transgender, gender-nonconforming and allied community.
Posts tagged poc
Here’s all the stories I wanted to write about but didn’t have the time to.
- The Advocate has an interview with transgender actress Laverne Cox about her new film Musical Chairs
- The first annual Black Transmen Empowerment Retreat Conference & Dinner held in Dallas
- Monica Roberts’ looks at the misgendering and gender harassment faced by cisgender women athletes of color.
- Toby Act, to protect the human rights of transgender Canadians, introduced for the fourth time.
- The NCTE re-caps the coverage of trans issues at the Aging in America Conference
- The NCTE also has released a new fact sheet on transgender and transsexual health
- Anchorage voters reject initiative banning sexual orientation- and gender identity-based discrimination
- The Transadvocate responds to radfem transphobia: “Feminism Must Be Led by Love, or Not At All”
- Gender Across Borders features a guest post from a mom who came to terms with her young son’s desire to wear skirts.
- The Transadvocate also questions the gendering of Happy Meal toys.
- TA's Chelsea Sayre discusses why she finds the “Cotton Ceiling” debate to be nothing but a headache.
- A NY state supreme court judge has ruled against the city of New York for forcing a trans man to supply detailed psychiatric and surgical records in order to change the gender on his birth certificate.
[TW: Violence against trans women]
- A suspect has been arrested in the March 24 double shooting that killed one transgender sex worker and injured another
- Confessed murderer of trans woman Shelley Hillard has been sentenced to 25-40 years in prison
- Arrests have also been made in the torture and murder of Mexican transgender activist Agnes Torres Hernandez
We don’t need to be repeating in the African American community what we have observed being aimed at white transwomen for decades in terms of the rabid transphobic hate from rad fems, fundies, GL people and the scientifically illiterate transphobic cis masses.
We don’t need to have our academics espousing ignorant psychobabble like autogynephilia. We also need more of our clergy and legacy civil rights organizations getting on board with helping us not only stopping anti-trans violence aimed at our community, but helping us push trans human rights laws through.
Our African descended cis community must be an example to others in how to treat their trans populations with dignity and respect. We need that to happen so that we can do our part to uplift the African American community. Monica Roberts, ”Our African Descended Cis Community Must Treat Our Trans People Better”